Thursday, June 2, 2011
Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers
These are very similar in taste to the Goldfish Crackers that you can buy from the store. To get that cracker crunchiness to them, they have to be rolled very thin. Either Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar works best with these.
My kids love and miss the packaged gold fish crackers. I refuse to buy them because of their ingredients, and so they were THRILLED that I made these. I chose to make them into triangles as you can see, but no matter the shape, they will taste the same. This recipe makes a little over 100 triangles. This was a fun treat for my kids, and next time I make them, I'll double the batch and keep them in an airtight container.
Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers
Yield: About 100 crackers
6 ounces (1 1/2 cups coarsely grated) sharp cheddar
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and whir until the dough forms into a ball, about two minutes.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface(parchment works great), with a lightly floured rolling pin until very thin(this will help them crisp). Transfer dough to an ungreased baking sheet, and score, using a pizza cutter or any tool you may have. If using a small cookie cutter, cut the shapes and then place on baking dish, re-roll dough and repeat. Bake 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges. Place baking dish on wire rack to cool. Once cooled, carefully break apart the crackers, if scored.
On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick. Form shapes with a cookie cutter, dipping it in flour from time to time to ensure a clean cut. Gently transfer crackers to an ungreased (though mine were parchment-lined, because they are in despicable shape) cookie sheet with a 1/2 inch between them. Bake the crackers on the middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are barely browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and set the cookie sheet on a rack to cool. Store in airtight container.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I bet they are scrumptious with the sharp cheddar! Great picture too Trac!! Way to go ;o)
ReplyDeleteOne of these days I will get around to making all of your awesome recipes that you find.
LOOK AT THAT PICTURE!!!!! Amazing! Ah-May-ZING! I can't wait to try the recipe. I don't know though since I can't eat cheese these may be more temptation than what I can handle.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliments! So sweet. Ju, don't worry, you will. You won't always have a baby around, then you'll have a bit more free time. Hopefully. Gwen, I forgot that you can't have cheese, but that is just temporary, right? I certainly hope so, because these crackers are good.
ReplyDeleteThose look awesome! You are good at finding creative recipes.
ReplyDelete