Welcome Message

Welcome to my Food Blog!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Homemade Chicken Nuggets(Baked)

 
Posted by Picasa


I don't know about your kids, but my kids LOVE Chicken Nuggets. Not only do they taste MUCH better than the pre-packaged ones, they are healthier and have that awesome crispiness to them. This is a recipe I've been meaning to post forever, but never got around to it. Gwen, you're keeping me going here, thanks. It is a recipe that is very versatile. In place of Crispy Rice cereal, I've used bread crumbs or Panko Bread Crumbs, and I always change the seasonings each time I make them. I've added Parmesan Cheese, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Cajun Seasoning, Montreal Chicken Seasoning and some of the same seasonings I use to flavor ground beef for burgers, and of course just plain.

Homemade Chicken Nuggets
3/4 cups all-purpose flour(sometimes I use whole wheat)
coarse salt and ground pepper
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups crispy rice cereal (bread and Panko crumbs work also, or a combination)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pound chicken, cut into small pieces for nuggets (I always use thighs)

Defrost your chicken, cut into small pieces for nuggets. You will need three bowls(I use pie plates) and a cookie sheet(prepare with non-stick spray). Put the crispy rice cereal, olive oil and any seasonings if you like(Parmesan Cheese, Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Cajun Seasoning, Montreal Chicken Seasoning or some of the same seasonings you use to flavor ground beef for burgers, or just leave them plain), in a blender, blend till it's crushed into very small pieces. Pour into one bowl. Put your beaten eggs in another bowl and flour with salt and pepper into another bowl. Do this assembly-line-style. Start by dipping your chicken into the flour till it's coated all over, then into the egg making sure it covers the entire chicken, then into the crispy rice mix, then onto your pan. I don't like my hands to get too thick and gooey, so I use one hand for the wet and the other for the dry ingredients. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Dip into whatever dips you like(my kids like ketchup, but I like BBQ sauce, or honey mustard too. I like to serve cut up fresh carrots, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, green beans, or other fresh veggies as well with this meal. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. These sound just as good as you said they would be can't wait to try them out.

    ReplyDelete